While there are a few different types of order holds, they all have one thing in common. If your order has a hold placed on it, it will not ship. The hold needs to be lifted in order for the Saltbox team to receive the order to pick, pack, and ship.
The day and time that a hold is lifted will count for its shipping SLA. This means if a hold is lifted after the SLA cut off for the day, it will not ship until the next business day. If a hold is lifted before the SLA cut off for the day, it will ship that same business day.
Below are order hold definitions along with what the Saltbox team considers best practices for lifting each hold type. This list is meant to be comprehensive. If you are experiencing a different type of hold, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
These holds happen because the order failed an address validation check to avoid shipping to incorrect or non-existent addresses. If an address fails address validation, that means that it would likely fail any carrier address validation as well so fixing this prior to shipping is important.
- Contact your customer to confirm their address.
- Use the ShipHero order details page to update their Shipping Address on the lower right side of the screen. (Skip if the address is correct)
- Click the pencil to the right of "Shipping Address". (Skip if the address is correct)
- Edit whatever needs to be adjusted within the Edit Shipping Address pop-up and then click Update. (Skip if the address is correct)
- If you do not want to update the address that triggered the Address Hold. Check "Ignore Address Validation Errors" about halfway down the top right section of the ShipHero order details page. Then click Update Details on the bottom right of the same section. (Skip if changing the address)
- Uncheck Address Hold on the very bottom right of the order details page and click Update (all flows)
- Last Resort: There is an option to cancel the order if the hold is not fixable. In the Actions section on the order details page (halfway down on the right), click the Cancel Order button.
These orders are sent to ShipHero with a "Fraud Recommendation" attached via Shopify's Risk Analysis. This means that there is something suspicious about this order and a chargeback is predicted to be likely.
You can adjust how ShipHero handles Fraud Recommendations via My Account > Stores > Settings > General. Under Fraud Settings, on the bottom left, there are a few options to choose from.
- Cancel or Investigate means all Fraud Recommendations are automatically placed on Fraud Hold.
- Cancel means all Fraud Recommendations are automatically cancelled.
- Never means all Fraud Recommendations are fulfilled as normal despite the risk.
- Members are responsible for investigating Fraud Holds and determining whether they would like to risk having Saltbox fulfilling them. Saltbox is not responsible for determining whether an order is fraud or not. If Shopify triggers an order for Fraud, review the order in Shopify to determine why it was flagged- Shopify's guide is here
- If you do not want this order to be processed, there is an option to cancel the order if the hold is not fixable. In the Actions section on the order details page (halfway down on the right), click the Cancel Order button.
- If you investigate and decide that you would like the potential Fraud order to be fulfilled, then on the ShipHero order details page, scroll all the way down to the bottom right. Uncheck Fraud Hold and click Update.
These orders are marked as unpaid in the store so when they come into ShipHero, they are held without fulfilling.
Amazon: A filter can be applied to ShipHero so that unpaid orders are not imported. Go to My Account > Stores > Settings > General and make sure that you uncheck “Import pending orders that have not been released from Amazon due to internal checks" Then click Save on the bottom right.
If the system is importing pending orders, once it is paid for, it will be released by Amazon and marked as Unshipped. ShipHero will remove the Payment Hold within an hour of the order's status changing.
ShipHero: If you would like to handle Payment Holds exclusively in ShipHero, then once your customer has paid, uncheck Payment Hold on the very bottom right of the ShipHero order details page and click Update.
Shopify: A filter can be applied to ShipHero so that unpaid orders are not imported. Go to My Account > Stores > Settings > General and check the box that says “Only import orders into ShipHero that have been paid for." Then click Save on the bottom right.
Once your customer has paid, you can mark the order as paid in Shopify. This information will flow through to ShipHero and lift the hold as long as you have "If an order is paid in Shopify, but has a payment hold in Shiphero, remove the payment hold in ShipHero (use this if you manage your payment holds in Shopify not ShipHero)." checked in My Account > Stores > Settings > General
WooCommerce: Depending on how you have mapped your statuses, Payment Holds may or may not occur. To check your Map Statuses, navigate to My Account > Stores > Map Statuses. If you would like to stop WooCommerce orders with the status Awaiting Payment from importing, change the Order Hold column to Not Applicable and in the same row change the Order Status to Do Not Import.
Once an order's status in WooCommerce changes to a status that does not map to a Payment Hold, the hold will be lifted.
Last Resort: There is an option to cancel the order if the hold is not fixable. In the Actions section on the ShipHero order details page (halfway down on the right), click the Cancel Order button.
These orders were placed on hold by a human being. Check with your team to see if they have placed the hold for some reason. If you cannot find the source of the hold, please reach out to email@example.com to check if the Fulfillment team had to place the hold.
To lift the hold, scroll down to the very bottom right of the order details page in ShipHero and uncheck Operator Hold. Then click Update. Do not remove the hold unless you have confirmed the underlying reason for the hold has been resolved.